Before being called to full-time pastoral ministry, Tim earned his degree in Electrical Engineering from UCLA in 1994. Tim and Tina moved their family to Boise, Idaho where he worked for ten years in the semiconductor industry. This position included a significant amount of travel, particularly to Southeast Asia which was perhaps the Lord’s way to prepare him for future ministry in that region. During that time, Tim also served as a lay elder in a local church. At the end of 2003 the Carns family moved back to Southern California so that Tim could attend The Masters’ Seminary (TMS), where he earned his Master of Divinity degree in 2007. For a number of years, Tim served as a pastor at Calvary Bible Church of Burbank in a variety of roles, including family and youth ministries, counseling and adult ministries, missions and discipleship, and as Pastor-Teacher.
After taking several mission trips where he had the opportunity to train pastors, Tim realized the incredible need for training in expository preaching and pastoral ministry. In early 2015, the Lord began to place the desire in his heart to invest more into equipping pastors overseas. As a result, in the summer of 2015, Tim transitioned from the role of Pastor-Teacher to Pastor of Missions and Discipleship in order to devote half of his time to this training ministry. After serving in this part-time capacity for five years, Tim was able to move to training pastors full time. He currently trains men from various countries in SE Asia, including the Philippines, Malaysia, Myanmar, and in a predominantly Muslim country in South Asia. In order to enhance his preaching as well as be better equipped for training other preachers, Tim recently earned his Doctor of Divinity degree from TMS in 2018.
Prayer Requests (July 2022)
- Please pray for the safety and protection of Pakistani pastors and their families who face much persecution and many financial challenges
- Pray also that they would understand the material we cover in the training.
- Pray also for our Afghani brothers and sisters – safety, health, financial needs, a place to settle, encouragement.
- Pray for the Filipino pastors who are weary from the many lockdowns and inability to meet with their congregations consistently.
- Please pray that God would enable me to be effective with all the work needed for training five classes.